Neuro diversity & Disability Resources
Book lists and resources discussing neurodiversity and disability.
A collection of resources and book lists that highlight the neurodiverse, neurodivergent, and people with disabilities communities. This compilation provides educational materials and books for kids of all ages and caregivers to promote respect and understanding. It includes information on topics such as ADHD, autism, and people who have hearing, visual, and other physical/mental disabilities. Along with definitions of these key terms, the resources promote a positive learning environment for those who want to know more and strive to make accommodations for all.
Neurodiversity: refers to variation in the human brain regarding sociability, learning, attention, mood, and other mental functions in a non-pathological sense. (Wikipedia)
Disability: any condition that makes it more difficult for a person to do certain activities or effectively interact with the world around them (socially or materially). These conditions, or impairments, may be cognitive, developmental, intellectual, mental, physical, sensory, or a combination of multiple factors (Wikipedia)
Neurodivergent: differing in mental or neurological function from what is considered typical or normal (frequently used with reference to autistic spectrum disorders); not neurotypical. (Google / Oxford Languages)
Neurotypical: not displaying or characterized by autistic or other neurologically atypical patterns of thought or behavior. (Google / Oxford Languages)
- Resources – Neurodiversity Education Academy
- Resources – NeurodiversityHub
- Free Educational Resources – Therapist Neurodiversity Collective
- Top Autism Organizations and Web Resources – Reading Rockets
- Resource Library – Autistic Women & Nonbinary Network (AWN)
- Autism Resource Center – American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP)
- ADHD Information Library – Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (CHADD)
- ADHD Resource Center – American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP)
- Topics – Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Education Resources on Disability Issues – RespectAbility
- Resources – National Council on Disability (NCD)
- Disabilities – U.S. Department of Education
- Disability Book Week – Disability Book Week (April 23 – 29, 2022)
Book Lists: Children’s, Middle Grade, and Young Adult
- Neurodiversity Book List – Scholastic
- Disability in Stories and Books – Wild Rumpus Books
- Disability – Social Justice Project
- Kids Books Celebrating Neurodiversity & Children’s Books About Disabilities – Bookshop
- 35 Best Middle-Grade Books with Neurodivergent Characters and Middle-Grade Books About Disability (Physical Disabilities) – Reading Middle Grade
- Best Children’s Books About Disabilities – We Are Teachers
- Children’s Books That Feature Characters with Disabilities – Huffpost
- 40 [Young Adult] Books Showcasing Diverse Disability Representation – Epic Reads
- 50 Must-Read Books About Neurodiversity – BookRiot (A great list for caregivers)
- Disability Awareness Books – CBC Showcase
- Find more disabled and neurodivergent representation in Trailblazers, Champions of Change and other CBC lists!
Discover books that celebrate neurodiversity and disability in all forms. And more socially inclusive booklists and resources will be coming throughout the year!
PUBLISHERS: if you wish to share your neurodiversity and disability or other socially inclusive books and resources, please email Sommer at firstname.lastname@example.org.