NEW! Every Child a Reader newsletter
Connecting with and supporting our amazing community of teachers, school & public librarians, booksellers, and readers is more important than ever — we are inspired every day by the work you do to create life-long readers. This is why, we are excited to share a monthly newsletter with you in support of your efforts to stay connected and provide resources to engage kids around books.
This newsletter will be brief and contain links to information and resources created by Every Child a Reader, The Children’s Book Council, CBC Members, and partners. Check out a sample of our first newsletter below, and if you would like to subscribe please sign up here.
Resources and News for You!
- National Ambassador for Young People Literature Jason Reynolds is connecting with kids online through his “Write. Right. Rite.” video series as well as a monthly GRAB THE MIC newsletter.
- We are excited to celebrate Children’s Book Week in the fall — November 9-15. Stay tuned for the release of new materials and activities to help you celebrate online and at home.
- A great personal experience piece on how to raise a little bookworm in the age of smartphones and tablets, from The Guardian.
- It can be hard to sift through the multitude of materials available online around children’s books, so we’ve created a one-stop-shop for free resources for specific books, characters, and themes. Find educator kits, videos, activity kits, and more at our At-Home resources hub.
- Check out and attend Independent Bookstore Day as 600+ local bookstores around the country join for a full day of virtual author events.
- Looking for anti-racists resources and information relating to children’s books?
- Check out the CBC Blog for more themed book lists, news, and fun book creator features.
- Book Riot brought us a great compilation of 20 Social Justice Books for Young Adults and Middle Grades … and those of us just young at heart.
- The CBC has a Graphic Novels Committee that has been very active with the various virtual Comic-Cons this year. These events featuring graphic novel creators are still available to watch online!
- Comic-Con@Home: New Kids Comics from Eisner Award Publishers
- Comic-Con@Home: License to Thrill: Graphic Novel Adaptations for Kids
- Comic-Con@Home: The Power of Teamwork in Kids Comics
- BookCon: We Need Diverse Kids Comics (panel starts at 42:05)
- A librarian makes the case for graphic novels for kids. If the kids in your life connect with comics don’t be afraid to let them read them. They’re real books.
- Read the delightful Q&A with Jordan Ifueko, author of Raybearer on the CBC Diversity section of our blog.
- If you’re currently going through a reading slump, you’re not alone. LifeHack recommends Rereading Your Favorite Books From Childhood.
- The Children’s & Teen Choice Book Awards Finalists have been announced. Voting starts on September 14, so check them out and start reading!
If you would like to subscribe please sign up here!