Read Aloud Book Award Winners Announced!
The 2014 winner of the Wanda Gág Book Award for the best read-aloud picture book for younger children (preschool to age 8) is “The Day the Crayons Quit,” written by Drew Daywalt, illustrated by Oliver Jeffers and published by Philomel Books, an imprint of Penguin Group, 2013.
Wanda Gág Honor Books for 2014 are:
• “How Martha Saved Her Parents from Green Beans,” written by David LaRochelle, illustrated by Mark Fearing and published by Dial Books for Young Readers, an imprint group of Penguin Group, 2013.
• “Mr. Tiger Goes Wild,” written and illustrated by Peter Brown and published by Little, Brown and Company, 2013.
• “Wilfred,” written and illustrated by Ryan Higgins and published by Dial Books for Young Readers, and imprint of Penguin Group, 2013.
The 2014 winner of the Comstock Award for the best read-aloud picture book for older children (ages 9 to 12) is “Papa’s Mechanical Fish,” written by Candace Fleming, illustrated by Boris Kulikov and published by Margaret Ferguson Books, Farrar Straus Giroux, 2013.
Comstock Honor Books for 2014 are:
• “Becoming Babe Ruth,” written and illustrated by Matt Tavares and published by Candlewick, 2013.
• “Jasper’s Song: Saving Moon Bears,” written by Jill Robinson and Marc Bekoff, illustrated by Gijsbert van Frankenjuyzen and published by Sleeping Bear Press, 2013.
The staff of the MSUM Livingston Lord Library’s Curriculum Materials Center administers the awards program. The project is partially funded by a grant from the Solomon G. Comstock Memorial Fund of the Minneapolis Foundation and MSUM’s Wanda Gág Book Award Fund of the MSUM Alumni Foundation.
For more information about the Read Aloud Book Awards (http://www.mnstate.edu/cmc/comstock-read-aloud-initiative.aspx) or the MSUM Library, contact Pam Werre at 218.477.5818 or email@example.com.