IBBY Announces the 2014 Hans Christian Andersen Award Jury and Nominees
The 2014 Jury, selected by IBBY’s Executive Committee from nominations made by its national sections, comprises the following ten distinguished members from across the globe. Jury President María Jesús Gil (Madrid, Spain) will lead the Jury to select the winners of the 2014 Hans Christian Andersen awards.
- Anastasia Arkhipova Illustrator, chair of the board of the Association of Moscow Book Illustrators and Designers, Moscow, Russia.
- Fanuel Hanan Diaz Editor, author and researcher, Caracas, Venezuela.
- Sabine Fuchs University lecturer in children’s literature, Graz, Austria.
- Sang-Wook Kim Professor in children’s literature at the Chuncheon National University of Education, Seoul, Korea.
- Enrique Pérez Díaz Author and publisher, Havana, Cuba.
- Deborah Soria Book-seller and promoter of children’s literature, Rome, Italy.
- Susan M. Stan Professor of children’s literature at the Central Michigan University, USA.
- Sahar Tarhandeh Independent researcher in children’s literature, freelance graphic designer and art director, Tehran, Iran.
- Erik Titusson Publisher and former Director of the ALMA, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Ayfer Gürdal Ünal Writer, critic, and lecturer at the Bhosphorous University, Istanbul, Turkey.
Former IBBY Vice President Elda Nogueira (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) and IBBY Executive Director Liz Page are ex officio Jury members.
The following nominees have been submitted for the 2014 Hans Christian Andersen Awards by the National Sections of IBBY. For the 2014 Awards 29 authors and 31 illustrators have been nominated from 34 countries.
- Argentina: author María Cristina Ramos; illustrator Isol
- Australia; author Nadia Wheatley; illustrator Ron Brooks
- Austria: author Renate Welsh; illustrator Linda Wolfsgruber
- Azerbaijan: author Sevinj Nurugizi
- Belgium: author Frank Andriat; illustrator Carll Cneut
- Brazil: author Joel Rufino dos Santos; illustrator Roger Mello
- Canada: author Kenneth Oppel; illustrator Philippe Béha
- China: author Hongying Yang; illustrator Liang Xiong
- Croatia: illustrator Svjetlan Junaković
- Denmark: author Lene Kaaberbøl; illustrator Charlotte Pardi
- Estonia: author Aino Pervik
- Finland: author Kirsi Kunnas; illustrator Pekka Vuori
- France: author Jean-Claude Mourlevat; illustrator François Place
- Germany: author Mirjam Pressler; illustrator Rotraut Susanne Berner
- Greece: author Sofia Madouvalou; illustrator Daniela Stamatiadi
- Iran: author Houshang Moradi Kermani
- Ireland: author Eoin Colfer; illustrator PJ Lynch
- Italy: author Bianca Pitzorno; illustrator Fabian Negrin
- Japan: author Nahoko Uehashi; illustrator Ken Katayama
- Republic of Korea: author Jin-Kyung Kim; illustrator Byoung-Ho Han
- Latvia: illustrator Reinis Pētersons
- Netherlands: author Ted van Lieshout; illustrator Marit Törnqvist
- Norway: author Bjørn Sortland; illustrator Øyvind Torseter
- Portugal: author António Torrado; illustrator Teresa Lima
- Russia: author Vladislav Krapivin; illustrator Igor Oleinikov
- Serbia: author Ljubivoje Ršumović; illustrator Dobrosav Živković
- Slovakia: author Daniel Hevier; illustrator Peter Uchnár
- Slovenia: author Polonca Kovač; illustrator Alenka Sottler
- Spain: illustrator Javier Zabala
- Sweden: illustrator Eva Lindström
- Switzerland: illustrator Albertine
- Turkey: author Serpil Ural; illustrator Saadet Ceylan
- UK: author Jacqueline Wilson; illustrator John Burningham
- USA: author Jacqueline Woodson; illustrator Bryan Collier
The Jury President will guide the judging process and preside at the jury meeting 15-16 March 2014. The shortlist will be disseminated immediately following the Jury meeting and the winners will be announced at the IBBY Press Conference at the Bologna Children’s Book Fair on Monday, 24 March 2014.