Children’s Choice Book Awards Gala Venue Changed
Please share this information with your friends and colleagues who will be attending.
The Gala is a charity event to benefit Every Child A Reader, a 501(c)3 literacy organization committed to instilling a lifelong love of reading in children. Tickets are available for purchase by calling 212.966.1990.
2013 Event Details
The Children’s Choice Book Awards is the only national book awards program where winning titles are selected by young readers of all ages.
Host Lisa Yee
Yee’s debut novel, Millicent Min, Girl Genius, won the prestigious Sid Fleischman Humor Award. With over 1.5 million books in print, her other novels for young people include Stanford Wong Flunks Big-Time, So Totally Emily Ebers, Absolutely Maybe, and a series about a 4th grader, Bobby vs. Girls (Accidentally) and Bobby the Brave (Sometimes)
Impact Award National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature Walter Dean Myers will present the award to Michele Norris, Host & Special Correspondent, All Things Considered.
2013 Gala Presenters
This year’s Gala presenters are kid lit luminaries (from l. to r., top to bottom): Tomie dePaola, Henry Winkler, Lois Lowry, Meg Cabot, Katherine Applegate, Brian Selznick, and National Ambassador Walter Dean Myers.
- K-2 Book of the Year: Tomie DePaola, author and illustrator of over 250 books, including Caldecott Honor book Strega Nona and Newbery Honor book 26 Fairmount Avenue. DePaola received the Laura Ingalls Wilder Medal in 2011.
- 3-4 Book of the Year: Henry Winkler, co-author with Lin Oliver on the Hank Zipzer series, which chronicles the everyday adventures of a bright boy with learning challenges; actor, producer and director best known for his role as Fonzie on Happy Days
- 5-6 Book of the Year: Lois Lowry, author of more than thirty books for children, including the Newbery-Medal-winning titles: Number the Stars (1989), and The Giver (1993).
- Teen Choice Book of the Year: Meg Cabot, #1 New York Times bestselling author of books for both adults and tweens/teens, including The Princess Diaries, which has sold over 20 million copies.
- Author of the Year: Katherine Applegate, author of the Animorphs, Remnants, Everworld, and other book series. Her recent novel, The One and Only Ivan won the 2013 Newbery Medal.
- Illustrator of the Year: Brian Selznick Caldecott winner, 2012 Children’s Choice Book Awards Illustrator of the Year, and creator of The Invention of Hugo Cabret and Wonderstruck.
Gala Ticket Purchase & Sponsorship Opportunities There is a limited amount of seating for the Awards Ceremony. Tickets and sponsorships are available on a first come, first served basis. Check or credit card payments accepted.
For more information, call: 212.966.1990.
– Adult Ticket(s) at $300 each
– Child Ticket(s) at $50 each (18 and under)