“Inside the ABC of It”– A Series of Three Panel Discussions, with Leonard S. Marcus and Special Guests
September 3, 2013
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Jennifer M. Brown
Title: Director, Bank Street Center for Children’s Literature
Organization: Bank Street College of Education, 610 West 112th Street,
New York, NY 10025
THE BANK STREET CENTER FOR CHILDREN’S LITERATURE ANNOUNCES “INSIDE THE ABC OF IT”—A SERIES OF THREE PANEL DISCUSSIONS WITH LEONARD MARCUS AND SPECIAL GUESTS
This fall, the Bank Street College of Education will host three lively panel discussions moderated by Leonard Marcus, curator of “The ABC of It: Why Children’s Books Matter,” the critically acclaimed exhibition currently on view at The New York Public Library (42nd Street at Fifth Avenue).
These one-hour programs, each featuring a panel of experts in conversation with the curator, will focus on key aspects of the wide-ranging landmark exhibition, and offer audience members an opportunity to ask questions about the show and discuss the lessons to be learned from it.
All three programs are free and open to the public, and will be held in the Tabas Auditorium of the Bank Street College of Education. A book signing will follow in the lobby immediately following each program.
Share your impressions of “The ABC of It” and be reminded why children’s books do matter by attending one or more of these stimulating events!
Wednesday, September 18, 2013 @ 7:30-8:30PM
“Inside the ABC of It: The Educator’s and Librarian’s Perspective”
- Susan Rabbiner, Assistant Director for Exhibitions, The New York Public Library
- Nancy Larson Shapiro, former Director, Teachers & Writers Collaborative
- Richard Lewis, Founder/Director, The Touchstone Center for Children
- Jeanne Lamb, Coordinator, Youth Collections, The New York Public Library
Tuesday, September 24, 2013 @ 7:00-8:00PM
“Inside the ABC of It: The Artist’s and Designer’s Perspective”
- Urshula Barbour, Co-Founder, Pure + Applied, designer of “The ABC of It” Exhibition
- Laurent Linn, Art Director, Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers*
- Martha Rago, Associate Creative Director, HarperCollins Children’s Books*
- Cecilia Yung, V-P, Art Director, Penguin Random House Children’s Books
*Linn and Rago are also members of the Bank Street Children’s Book Committee
Wednesday, October 2, 2013 @ 7:00-8:00PM
“Inside the ABC of It: The Writer’s Perspective”
- Robie Harris, author and former teacher at the Bank Street School for Children
- Jon Scieszka, author and the inaugural National Ambassador of Young People’s Literature
- Rebecca Stead, Newbery-winning author of When You Reach Me
- Wendy Lamb, V-P, Publishing Director, Wendy Lamb Books, an imprint of Penguin Random House Children’s Books