Scholastic Reimagines Free Summer Reading Program for Kids
Join their Summer Read-a-Palooza to access awesome reading materials and activities throughout the summer
Scholastic has reimagined its free Scholastic Summer Read-a-Palooza program to leverage a safe interactive digital community which aims to increase book access and ensure engaging experiences to keep kids reading this summer.
Starting Monday, May 4, kids can join the Scholastic Summer Read-a-Palooza in the newly created summer zone on Scholastic Home Base, a free and safe digital destination, where they will be encouraged to explore free resources, read select ebooks, engage with fellow readers and favorite authors, and keep Reading Streaks™, which also help unlock a donation of 100,000 print books from Scholastic, distributed by United Way Worldwide.
Every child with a free Home Base account can create an avatar and experience the Scholastic Summer Read-a-Palooza by:
- Reading free digital books. Exclusive to the summer zone, kids will have access to select full ebooks in their entirety.
- Unlocking book donations for home libraries: For every two consecutive days a child checks into the zone they will create a Reading Streak which will unlock a new free print book for a child with limited or no access to books. Reading Streaks are earned when kids check in to the Read-a-Palooza zone to confirm they have read that day. With the goal of unlocking all 100,000 books by July, United Way Worldwide, the world’s largest privately funded nonprofit, will distribute the books across the country to locations where access to more high-quality books is needed most.
- Sharing reading progress. Kids will be able to create and print individualized reading reports summarizing their reading progress. These easy-to-download and printable reports can be shared with teachers or parents to show reading accomplishments.
- Earning personal reading milestones. Kids will be able to earn accolades ranging from bronze, silver, gold and diamond levels for their reading streak progress while collecting summer-specific accessories to dress up their avatar.
- Joining a community of readers. The summer zone offers kids a safe social platform to interact with friends and make new companions along the way. Through this summer reading community kids will share and discover the joy of stories and help provide books to their peers with limited or no access.
To learn more about Scholastic Summer Read-a-Palooza and access free summer reading resources, visit Scholastic’s website.