Children’s Book Week Events
Every Child a Reader is inviting everyone to celebrate Children’s Book Week May 4-10 from wherever you are!
Let’s keep tabs on all of the awesome ways book creators are celebrating kid’s books this season. Every Child a Reader invites you to participate by using the hashtag #BookWeek2020AtHome, this way they can show you some love! For even more events and fun things happening, you can also follow the hashtag on your favorite social media platform. (All links below will take you to the specific pages in each platform that the event is being hosted)
See below a handful of the events happening online from May 4-10 and check out the rest with #BookWeek2020athome.
Friday, May 1, 2020
- Claribel Ortega (Ghost Squad) and Daniel Jose Older (Dactyl Hill Squad) on a panel called “Dinosaurs, Ghosts, and Gods, Oh My!” @ 11:00am EST.
- Sayantani DasGupta (The Chaos Curse) is part of a panel on “Magic vs. Science: Children’s Authors Battle It Out!” @ 12:00pm EST.
- Preeti Chibber (Marvel: Avengers Assembly) and Nic Stone (Shuri) are part of a panel on “Marvel: Heroes of Tomorrow” @ 4:00pm EST.
Saturday, May 2, 2020:
- Aida Salazar (Land of the Cranes) and Kelly Yang (Three Keys) are part of a panel on “Home and Belonging: Immigrant Stories in Middle Grade Literature” @ 10:00am EST.
- Sarah Mlynowksi (Whatever After), Max Brailler (Last Kids on Earth) and Christina Soontornvat are part of a panel called “Plot on the Spot!” @ 11:00am EST.
- Instagram live read aloud with Juana Martinez-Neal (Alma and How She Got Her Name) through the Niños Bilingual Book Fest @ 11:20am EST.
- Shannon Wright (Twins) is part of a panel called “Illustration Fight to the Death” @ 12:00pm EST.
- Debbi Michiko Florence (Keep it Together, Keiko Carter) is part of a panel called “Middle Grade Lunch Bunch” @ 2:00pm EST.
Sunday, May 3, 2020:
Monday, May 4, 2020:
- Teen Scene talk with Debbi Michiko Florence (Keep It Together, Keiko Carter) and Sayantani DasGupta (The Chaos Curse) @ 11:00am EST.Register for free here!
- Reading with Renee Watson (Ways to Make Sunshine) @ 2:00pm EST Register for free here!
- Read aloud with Nicole C. Kear (Foreverland) @ 3:00pm EST on Facebook and Instagram.
- Fierce Reads ARC giveaway with White Fox by Sara Faring through Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Mackids Recommends to be posted throughout the day via Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Illustrated tote giveaway with Elisha Cooper on Instagram.
- Book reading with Matthew Cordell (Hello Neighbor!: The Kind and Caring World of Mister Rogers) on Instagram.
- Speed painting with Amber Heaton (Pearls for Pearl) on Youtube.
- Reading with Dusti Bowling (Insignificant Events in the Life of a Cactus) on Youtube.
- Virtual story time with Bethan Woollvin (Little Red) @ 2pm EST on Instagram Stories.
Tuesday, May 5, 2020
- Read aloud with Hannah Salyer (Strength in Numbers) ages 4-8 @ 10:00am EST. Register for free here!
- Book reading with Deborah Diesen (Pout-Pout Fish) @ 11:00am EST on Instagram.
- Golden Gate Park: An A to Z Adventure, a LIVE read aloud, drawing demo, and celebration with Marta Lindsey, Michael Wertz, Phil Ginsburg, and more @ 12:00pm CST. Register for free here!
- Metaphrog Q&A (Bluebeard) on Facebook and Twitter @ 1:00pm EST.
- Book talk with Brian Weisfeld (Stories of Kid Entrepreneurs) @ 5:30pm EST on Instagram.
- Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman (Aurora Burning) in conversation with Scott Reintgen (Nyxia Trilogy) ages 12-Up@ 7:00pm EST. Register for free here!
- Read aloud with Joanne Rocklin (Good Guys, Bad Guys) will be posted on Instagram and Twitter.
- Drawing demo with Lucy Knisley from First Second posted via YouTube.
- Fierce Reads author reading with Rocky Callen to be posted on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Marissa Meyer Universe Quiz with Fierce Books on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Drawing demo with Susan Szecsi on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Shuri launch in conversation with Jason Reynolds on Instagram.
- Interview with J.P. Coman about Winnie and the Mystery of the Missing Moonstones on Youtube.
- Storytime with Victoria Cossack, reading Gus and The Greatest Catch of All on Instagram @ 10am EST.
- Book Week Coloring page creation videos with Victoria Cossack via her Instagram stories.
- Live Baking and Books event with author Jen Calonita (Fairy Tale Reform School series) @ 2pm EST on Facebook.
- Live reading of the first chapter of Jen Calonita’s newest Fairy Take Reform School series book, Cursed, @ 3:30pm EST on Instagram.
- Virtual story time with Dori Hillestad Butler (King & Kayla and The Case of The Missing Dog Treats) @ 2pm EST on Instagram Stories.
Wednesday, May 6, 2020
- Young Adult round table with Deborah Wiles (Kent State) @ 11:00am EST. Register for free here!
- Book launch for The Mermaid, the Witch and the Sea by Maggie Tokuda-Hall with special guests, Charlie Jane Anders and V.E. Schwab @ 12:00pm PST. This is hosted by welovebookstores.org with proceeds benefiting Books, Inc. Purchase tickets by donation here!
- Book reading with Minh Lê and Dan Santat (Lift) @ 2:00pm, ages 4-8. Register for free here!
- Read aloud with the You Be Mommy activity kit posted on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Storytime will also happen with Karla Clark on her Instagram.
- Sneak peek introduction of Camel and I by author Katy Chow on Youtube.
- Live science experiment with author and science professor, Kate Biberdorf (Kate the Chemist: The Big Book of Experiments) on Youtube @ 3:30pm EST.
- Book reading of A Pocket Full of Kisses (2nd book/The Kissing Hand series) by Audrey Penn on Facebook and Youtube.
- Virtual story time with Kelly Starling Lyons (Going Down Home with Daddy) @ 2pm EST on Instagram stories.
Thursday, May 7, 2020
- Book launch with Breena Bard (Trespassers) @ 1:00pm. Register for free here!
- Erin Entrada Kelly and Terri Libenson, We Dream of Space and Becoming Brianna in conversation with Karen MacPherson @ 2:00pm EST. Register for free here!
- Ask Ya Anything, what is your favorite YA series with Fierce Reads on Instagram.
- Sneak peek speed painting with Melissa Vandiver, (illus. The Rose Without a Name) on Youtube.
- Virtual storytime and author talk with Christina Matula (The Shadow in the Moon: A Tale of the Mid-Autumn Festival) @ 5:00pm EST on Facebook.
- Virtual story time with Alex Latimer (Am I Yours?) @ 2pm EST on Instagram stories.
- How to Draw video with Susan Szecsi (Yes! I Can Listen) on Youtube.
Friday, May 8, 2020
- Live reading from the Texas Book Festival on Instagram with Avi (Gold Rush Girl) @ 10:00am CST.
- Live reading with Chris Haughton (Don’t Worry Little Crab) on Facebook @ 1:00pm EST.
- Live reading with Metaphrog (Bluebeard) on Facebook and Twitter @ 1:00pm EST.
- Author event with Katherine Applegate (The One and Only Bob) @ 2:00pm EST, ages 8-12. Register for free here!
- Read aloud with Emmy Kastner on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Fierce Reads recommends to be posted on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter throughout the day.
- Write a Fairy Tale with Anna James (The Bookwanderers). This live, interactive event will take place on Youtube @ 3pm EST.
- Book reading of Feathers & Fur by Audrey Penn on Youtube.
- Virtual story time with Kate Read (One Fox: A Counting Book Thriller) @ 2pm EST on Instagram stories.
Saturday, May 9, 2020
- Golden Gate Park: An A to Z Adventure, a LIVE read aloud, drawing demo, and celebration with Marta Lindsey, Michael Wertz, Phil Ginsburg, and more @ 10:00am CST. Register for free here!
- Author-illustrator event with Decur from Rizzoli Bookstore’s platform @ 11:00am EST
- Book reading with Marissa Meyer (Instant Karma) on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Sunday, May 10, 2020
Discover other videos and resources available throughout the week
- Virtual Storytimes on the B&N Youtube channel
- Content from a slew of book creators from Charlesbridge: Ruth Spiro (Baby Loves Science series) Twitter/Instagram/Facebook, Karol Ruth Silverstein (Cursed) Twitter/Instagram/Facebook, Iza Trapani (author/illustrator of many titles) Twitter/Instagram/Facebook, Abby Cooper (Friend or Fiction) Twitter/Instagram/Facebook, Michelle Schaub (Dream Big, Little Scientists) Twitter/Facebook, Eileen R. Meyer (The Superlative A. Lincoln) Twitter/Instagram/Facebook, Kelly Carey (How Long is Forever?) Twitter/Instagram/Facebook, Suzanne Slade (Daring Dozen) Twitter/Instagram/Facebook, Lesléa Newman (Welcoming Elijah) Twitter/Facebook, Elizabeth Rusch (Mario and the Hole in the Sky) Twitter/Instagram/Facebook, Patricia Powell (Struttin’ with Some Barbecue) Twitter/Facebook, Irene Latham (Nine: A Book of Nonet Poems) Twitter.
This list will be updated as things are scheduled, so remember to come back throughout the week. Happy Children’s Book Week!