Scholastic and ASCD Announce Professional Learning Institute for Educators Focused on District-Wide Literacy Improvement
Literacy Leaders’ Institute Helps District and School Leadership Develop Strategies for High-Quality Literacy Instruction
Speakers Include Prominent Thought Leaders Carmen Agra Deedy, Dr. Steve Constantino, Stephanie Harvey, Chris Lehman, Rick Wormeli, and More
Chicago, IL – June 12, 2017 – The three-day Literacy Leaders’ Institute, hosted by Scholastic, the global children’s publishing, education and media company, and ASCD, a global community dedicated to excellence in learning, teaching, and leading, will take place August 6–8, 2017 in Chicago, IL. This professional learning opportunity brings together school and district teams and education experts to review essential strategies for high-quality literacy instruction and to work with each team to develop a comprehensive literacy framework that will support the needs of their teachers and students.
To learn more about the 2017 Literacy Leaders’ Institute and to register to attend, visit: http://www.scholastic.com/literacyleaders.
The practitioners in attendance collaborate with nationally-recognized thought leaders and ASCD and Scholastic facilitators to identify areas for district- or school-wide improvement, and discuss how to plan, implement, and sustain strong literacy programs in their districts. Keynote sessions will focus on topics such as equity, family engagement, transforming literacy, and classroom leadership. Featured speakers include:
- Carmen Agra Deedy – Award-winning Scholastic author
- Tiffany Anderson – Superintendent of Topeka Public Schools, Kansas
- Dr. Steve Constantino – Chief Academic Officer at the Virginia Department of Education and adjunct lecturer at the School of Education, College of William and Mary, Virginia
- Deborah S. Delisle – Executive Director and CEO of ASCD
- Stephanie Harvey – Author and President of Stephanie Harvey Consulting
- Chris Lehman – Founding director of The Educator Collaborative
- Susan Szachowicz – Former principal of Brockton High School, Massachusetts
- Rick Wormeli – ASCD author, educational consultant, and veteran educator
- Greg Worrell – President of Scholastic Education
“Building a literacy-rich culture in school starts with district leaders coming together to create a long-term comprehensive literacy plan that is dynamic, flexible, and responsive to the diverse needs of all students,” said Greg Worrell, President, Scholastic Education. “The Literacy Leaders’ Institute is an exciting opportunity for Scholastic and ASCD to connect with motivated educators individually and provide them the foundational tools needed to make balanced literacy instruction a reality year-round.”
“Students are relying on us to help them create their futures filled with hope and possibilities. As education continues to transform on an international stage, we must commit to enhancing literacy in our classrooms and schools,” said Deborah Delisle, Executive Director and CEO of ASCD. “By supporting educators in creating exceptional literacy plans for all students, the Literacy Leaders’ Institute helps us achieve this goal.”
For more information about Scholastic (NASDAQ: SCHL), visit: http://mediaroom.scholastic.com.
For more information about ASCD, visit: www.ascd.org.