Outstanding Science List
A list that represents each year’s best science books, chosen by science educators.
A joint project of the National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) and the CBC since 1973, Outstanding Science Trade Books for Students K-12 represents the year’s best science books, chosen by science educators. The selection panel looks for well-presented books that contain substantial science content, that are also clear, accurate, up-to-date, and reflect current scientific research.
The annotated bibliographies feature titles published in the previous calendar year and selected by a book review committee appointed by the NSTA. Titles are grouped by category, including Archaeology, Anthropology, and Paleontology; Biography; Earth and Space Science; Environment and Ecology; Life Science; Physical Science; and Technology and Engineering. Each annotation contains bibliographic data.
Browse and search the Outstanding Sciences lists:
- 2023 Outstanding Science Trade Books on Website — searchable titles on our site with links to their publishers.
- 2023 Outstanding Science Trade Books PDF — downloadable file with book annotations designed by NSTA.
- 2023 Outstanding Science Trade Books Spreadsheet — editable file which allows to sort or manipulate as needed.
PAST WINNING TITLES (Annotated Lists)
- 2022 Outstanding Science Trade Books
- 2021 Outstanding Science Trade Books
- 2020 Outstanding Science Trade Books
- 2019 Outstanding Science Trade Books
- 2018 Outstanding Science Trade Books
View more annotated lists on NSTA’s website.
Publishers: Learn more about submitting titles to this list. Email Jena.Groshek@cbcbooks.org with questions.
More lists: Children’s Choices, Young Adults’ Choices, Notable Social Studies Trade Books, Best STEM Books, Building a Home Library, Reading Beyond, and More Curated Lists collaborations.