Prospective Member Info
Information and contact details for North American children’s book publishers who are interested in joining the Children’s Book Council.
The Children’s Book Council is the nonprofit trade organization dedicated to North American children’s book publishers. Our goals are to serve your needs and interests by promoting your books in our popular national programs; making diversity our top priority in all ways; partnering with prominent organizations; organizing submissions for key book awards; providing free resource material to teachers, librarians, and booksellers; organizing forums for ongoing professional development; and, in all ways, promoting children’s books and the love of reading.
Our programs are growing in terms of scope, diversity, and outreach — all in support of your creators, books, and employees.
CBC Member Benefit Highlights
- Your books submitted for curated annual reading lists and awards – notably the 3 “Best Of” awards: Best STEM, Outstanding Science, and Notable Social Studies books.
- Your new books featured online in our Hot off the Press and our themed quarterly CBC Showcase.
- CBC member only attendance at CBC’s Ed. Talks, monthly virtual panels about industry trends, publishing departments, and professional development.
- CBC has very strong relationships with the ABA, ALA, PTA, PW, SLJ, First Book, the Library of Congress and many more.
- Submit your books for our many call outs for seasonal and holiday themes, diverse books lists, and more.
- Your press will be included in our Indie Press online listing for teachers, librarians, and booksellers.
- We will ask for submissions to our Social Justice, Anna Dewdney Read Together, Mathical and other awards.
- In 2022, we relaunched the popular Children’s Choices, Young Adult Choices, and Teachers’ Choices program as the Favorites program.
- All your employees can receive the monthly CBC newsletter.
- Member participation in Every Child a Reader’s national literacy programs: Children’s Book Week (celebrating 104 years in 2023); the National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature; the Kids’ Book Choice Awards (the only national children’s book award voted on only by kids); and Get Caught Reading.
The CBC is dedicated to a growing, vibrant, and diverse children’s publishing industry, and we are expanding programs and partnerships every year.
Please contact Executive Director Carl Lennertz with any questions and if you would like to hear more about our many membership benefits and dues rates and fees. Prospective CBC member publishers must have at least 5 children’s books in print and available to libraries, schools, and bookstores.