CBC Diversity Committee
Advocating for an inclusive and representative children’s publishing industry.
The CBC Diversity Committee is dedicated to increasing the diversity of voices and experiences contributing to children’s and young adult literature — encouraging the increase and importance of manifold voices based on race, ethnicity, gender, gender preference, sexual orientation, abilities, neurodiversity, geographical origin, religion, age, income, and class among both the creators of and the topics addressed by children’s literature.
As part of this effort, the CBC Diversity Committee:
- Supports diverse voices both in the workplace and on the page
- Works with organizations such as We Need Diverse Books, Brown Bookshelf, and Futures & Options to further the diversity movement
- Maintains a large diversity reading list at Goodreads; and
- Develops newsletters and blog posts to keep the book community aware of news and trends
- And, as a priority, features debut diverse authors and illustrators in CBC-sponsored virtual events and in our newsfeed.
Notably, in 2018, the committee created the CBC Diversity Outstanding Achievement Awards. The 3rd annual group of winners has been announced. Read about the current and past winners at our Diversity Initiative page.
CBC MEMBERS: watch exclusive videos of previous CBC Diversity events.
2020 Committee Members
Elizabeth Agyemang, Editorial Assistant, HMH Books for Young Readers
Karina Granda, Associate Art Director, Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Trisha de Guzman, Associate Editor, Farrar Straus Giroux Books for Young Readers, Macmillan Children’s Books
Ryan Mita, Membership Manager & CBC Liaison
Vaishali Nayak, Middle Grade Marketing Manager, HarperCollins Children’s Books
Olivia Ngai, Editor, West Margin Press
Talisa Ramos, Sales Coordinator, Penguin Young Readers
Sawako Shirota, Library Marketing Coordinator, Candlewick Press
Jordan Standridge, Marketing Associate, Charlesbridge
Sydney Tillman, Publicist, Scholastic
Phoebe Yeh, VP & Publisher of Crown Books for Young Readers, Random House Children’s Books
Only employees of member publishers are invited to serve on the CBC’s vibrant committees. Are you a CBC member interested in joining a committee? Email Shaina.Birkhead@cbcbooks.org.