CBC Graphic Novel Committee Programming at New York Comic Con 2023
The Children’s Book Council has put together great programs for NYCC 2023. Get the details below and book your tickets today!
When & Where: Thursday, October 12, 1:00 – 2:00 PM, Room 1B-02
The topic of book banning has risen as more and more books are taken off the shelves, especially graphic novels. These creators are here to talk about graphic novels and literacy, what we can do about censorship in our communities, and most importantly, how to keep bans off our books!
- Jeff Trexler, Interim Director, Comic Book Legal Defense Fund
- Kate Glasheen (Constellations) – Holiday House
- Jasmine Walls (Brooms) – Levine Querido
- Raina Telgemeier (Smile) – The Quarto Group / Saturday AM
- Frederick L Jones: (Clock Striker) – Scholastic / Graphix
Book signing in the autographing area (tables #1-4) 2:15 – 3:15 PM
When & Where: Friday, October 13, 2:45 PM – 3:45 PM, Room 406.3
Cassandra Clare, Leigh Bardugo, and Veronica Roth, all attended cons before their books hit the bestseller lists. Here’s your chance to hear from some of the hottest rising stars in young adult lit on their way to that next level. They’ll discuss how they got here, what led them to write their books, and what the future holds in store for them.
Moderator: Stephanie Carr (AKA LiteraryHypeWoman)
- Ananya Devarajan (Kismat Connection) – Harlequin / Inkyard Press
- Andrew Duplessie (Too Scared to Sleep) – HarperCollins Children’s Books
- Shannon C. F. Rogers (I’d Rather Burn Than Bloom) – Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group
- Zeba Shahnaz (Midnight Strikes) – Random House Children’s Books
- Joelle Wellington (Their Vicious Games) – Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers
Book signing in the autographing area (tables #1-4) 4:00 – 5:00 PM
When & Where: Sunday, October 15, 10:30 AM – 1:30 PM, Family HQ
Come and join the fun with each of our amazing graphic novel illustrators as they show young people how they created their characters!
Session 1 (10:30 – 11:30 AM)
- Faith Erin Hicks (Ride On) – Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group
- John Patrick Green (InvestiGators: All Tide Up) – Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group
Session 2 (11:30 AM – 12:30 PM)
- Art Baltazar (YAHGZ: The Craynobi Tales) – Mad Cave Studio / Papercutz
- Mike Maihack (Spider-Man: Animals Assemble) – Abrams Amulet
Session 3 (12:30 – 1:30 PM)
- Isabel Roxas (The Adventures of Team Pom: The Last Dodo) – Flying Eye Books
- Chad Sell (The Stupendous Switcheroo) – Random House Children’s Books
Book signing in Family HQ immediately after each session.
A special thank you to:
- Len Vlahos, Liz Jaite, and the wonderful ReedPop, for their guidance and help in organizing the panels
- The brilliant book creators, their publishers, and the CBC Graphic Novel Committee