Submit your books to the Southwest Book Awards Competition
The Border Regional Library Association is seeking nominations for its 47th annual SOUTHWEST BOOK AWARDS competition. Any publisher having one or more items which meet the criteria is invited to submit one review copy of each for consideration. Nominations submitted by individuals are also welcome.
About the Award:
Since 1971 the Southwest Book Awards have been presented in recognition of outstanding books about the Southwest published each year in any genre (e.g. fiction, nonfiction, reference) and directed toward any audience (scholarly, popular, children). Original video and audio materials are also considered.
To be eligible for an award, an item must be:
- About the Southwest, defined as West Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and northern Mexico.
- Appearing in book or nonprint format for the first time.
- Published between August 1, 2016 and July 31, 2017.
- Of high quality, both in the context of the current year’s entries and in the existing body of Southwestern literature.
- Books are sought which reflect and interpret the Southwest. A scholarly work must make a well documented contribution to scholarship in some aspect of Southwestern history or culture. Other nonfiction works should make reliable information accessible to the general reader. Poetry and fiction must reflect Southwestern culture and/or be set in the Southwest.
Review copies must be received by September 30, 2017. Nominations, which must include the official date of publication, should be sent to the address below.
Awards will be announced in December 2017 and formally presented at our annual Awards Banquet in early 2018.
To access nomination form, please click here.
Address to send review copies:
BRLA Southwest Book Awards
c/o Lisa Weber
University of Texas at El Paso
El Paso, TX 79968-0582