Scholastic Releases ‘Kids & Family Reading Report™’
Scholastic has released a new national survey, ‘Kids & Family Reading ReportTM: 5th edition,’ focusing on the reading attitudes and behaviors of kids ages 6-17 and their parents. The survey also provides data on early literacy and reading aloud from parents with children ages 0-5. The findings suggest three factors predicting whether a child (age 6-17) will be a frequent reader: the child’s level of reading enjoyment, parents who are frequent readers, and a child’s belief in the importance of pleasure reading.
- Half of children ages 6-17 (51%) are currently reading a book for fun.
- 86% of parents think reading books for fun is extremely or very important for their child, while only 46% of kids say the same.
- 75% of parents with kids ages 6-17 wish their child would read more for pleasure.
- 40% of kids ages 6-11 who are no longer read aloud to say they wish their parents had continued. More than 80% of kids ages 6-17 say they love(d) or lik(ed) being read aloud to.
- 91% of kids ages 6-17 say that their favorite books are the ones they pick out themselves
- 70% of kids ages 6-17 gravitate towards books that make them laugh.
Review the complete report and methodology at www.scholastic.com/
Background on the Kids & Family Reading Report™
The Kids & Family Reading Report is a biannual report from Scholastic and is managed by YouGov. Results are from a nationally representative survey with a total sample size of 2,558 parents and children, including 506 parents of children ages 0–5; 1,026 parents of children ages 6–17; plus one child age 6–17 from the same household. The survey was conducted from August 29, 2014 through September 10, 2014.
Scholastic Corporation (NASDAQ: SCHL) is the world’s largest publisher and distributor of children’s books and a leader in educational technology and related services and children’s media. Scholastic creates quality books and ebooks, print and technology-based learning materials and programs, magazines, multi-media and other products that help children learn both at school and at home. The Company distributes its products and services worldwide through a variety of channels, including school-based book clubs and book fairs, retail stores, schools, libraries, on-air and online at www.scholastic.com.
YouGov is a pioneer in online research with offices throughout the United States, the UK, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia. YouGov’s custom research specialists conduct a full spectrum of quantitative and qualitative research providing comprehensive market intelligence to the world’s leading businesses and institutions. YouGov was recently named one of the world’s top 25 research companies by the respected American Marketing Association Top 25 Report and has a proven, published record of uniquely accurate data and actionable insights informing political, cultural and commercial organizations around the globe: http://research.yougov.com.