- 27 Kidlit Creators Assemble for the "Turning the Page, New Stories for Newtown" Event
- This Week on Girls Scoutsí The Studio: Author Andrew Clements
- The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art Announces 2013 Carle Honors Honorees
- IBBY Announces the 2014 Hans Christian Andersen Award Jury and Nominees
- Kat Zhang to Pen Once We Were
Donald J. Sobol Has Passed On
July 17, 2012
Donald J. Sobol has passed on. The author behind the beloved Encyclopedia Brown mystery series passed away at 87-years-old.
Sobol received his undergraduate education at Oberlin College. From there, he established his writing career in journalism with positions at The New York Sun and The New York Daily News. As an author, Sobol wrote more than 65 books which included 28 Encyclopedia Brown titles.
"Sobol's series featured amateur sleuth Leroy 'Encyclopedia' Brown, who would unravel local mysteries with the help of his encyclopedic knowledge of facts great and small. The books, first published in the early 1960s, became staples in classrooms and libraries nationwide. They were translated into 12 languages and sold millions of copies worldwide."