- Actress Melissa Gilbert to Release Picture Book Daisy and Josephine with Paula Wiseman Books
- Scholastic Suggests That Kids Will Reach for More Books if Technology and Reading Are Combined
- Ally Carter's Final Gallagher Girls Title to be Released this Fall
- 2013 Maryland Black-Eyed Susan Book Award Winners Announced
- Steve Carell to Star in the Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day Film
Launch a Young Reader This Summer!
June 12, 2012
Reading Rockets unveils new summer reading website: Start with a Book!
Need a launching pad for exploration, conversation, and real world learning adventures this summer? Check out Reading Rockets' new summer website: Start with a Book!
At Start with a Book, parents and caregivers will find summer themes that match the curiosities and interests of the young detective, inventor, artist, athlete, or superhero at home — or the child fascinated by dinosaurs, bugs, birds, planes, music, sports, superheroes, inventors, art, the night sky, or the ocean.
Each theme (there are 24 in all) connects young readers and their families to great fiction and nonfiction books, hands-on activities that support reading, writing, and critical thinking skills, and links to other great websites and apps with related content. The site also offers reading tips for parents in 11 languages, a reading tip of the day, and simple ways to help children build critical fluency skills over the summer. And, users can sign up to receive reading tips delivered right to your mobile phone all summer long (in English or Spanish)!