FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
EBSCO Information Services recognizes the cultural and literary impact of youth graphic novels, and in an effort to identify these works and promote them amongst the library community, EBSCO eBooks™, Core Collections and NoveList, in collaboration with the CBC Graphic Novel Committee have partnered to create the SEE-IT Award: Stories Engagingly Expressed – Illustratively Told. The SEE-IT Award is to be given each year at the American Library Association’s annual conference, during the EBSCO School and Public Library Luncheon, to celebrate the youth graphic novel published in the last year that has the highest literary quality as judged by a select panel of librarian graphic novel specialists. This message is a call soliciting nominations for this award.
- Works must be originally published in English between January 1, 2016, and December 31, 2016.
- Series whose final issue was published within the publication date parameters will be accepted. Currently active series, spin-offs of active series, republished editions, translated editions or audiobooks will not be accepted.
- Books should be submitted by publishers. While we do not limit the number of titles a publisher may submit, we urge publishers to use their best judgment and send only those titles that they believe are distinguished enough to warrant consideration.
- Among the criteria for selection of the award will be:
- Literary Quality
- Interweaving of Art and Story
- Lasting Impact and Distinguished Contributions to the Format and Youth Literature
- As this is a Youth Award, the audience range should be K-12, or young readers through young adult
- For a fully detailed list of the award criteria please visit https://www.ebscohost.com/ebooks/for-publishers
- Finalists will be announced in April 2017. The winner will be announced during the EBSCO Public and School Librarians Luncheon at ALA in June 2017.
- Submissions will open on December 1, 2016 and close on January 31, 2017. A copy of each Graphic Novel submitted along with a copy of the submission form should be mailed directly to each of the seven judges, as well as a copy to EBSCO Information Services for tracking purposes.
Send one copy to EBSCO:
EBSCO Information Services HQ
c/o Stephanie Buck, eBooks Collection Development
10 Estes Street
Ipswich, MA 01938
eBooks Collection Development
Send one copy to all seven jurors:
Gail de Vos
Leigh Anne Focareta
1040 Mirror Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15217
87 Granite Street
Worcester, MA 01604
25 Macintosh Ct
Port Matilda, PA 16870
Rebecca B. Vargha
115-B Manning Hall, CB# 3360
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3360
107 Parkview Lane
Lockport, IL 60441
Brooklyn Branch of Cuyahoga County Public Library
4480 Ridge Road
Brooklyn, OH 44144-3353
For further inquiries, email EBSCO eBooks content development team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submissions will only be valid if they meet all of the criteria listed here and are accompanied by complete and accurate submission forms.
The EBSCO team (Core Collections, eBook Collection Development, and NoveList) and the CBC Graphic Novel Committee look forward to recognizing the winning nominee, and to increasing the visibility of quality youth graphic novels, while raising awareness of literary merit within this growing medium.
About EBSCO Information Services
EBSCO Information Services (EBSCO) is the leading discovery service provider for libraries worldwide with more than 10,000 discovery customers in over 100 countries. EBSCO Discovery ServiceTM (EDS) provides each institution with a comprehensive, single search box for its entire collection, offering unparalleled relevance ranking quality and extensive customization. EBSCO is also the preeminent provider of online research content for libraries, including hundreds of research databases, historical archives, point-of-care medical reference, and corporate learning tools serving millions of end users at tens of thousands of institutions. EBSCO is the leading provider of electronic journals & books for libraries, with subscription management for more than 360,000 serials, including more than 57,000 e-journals, as well as online access to more than 900,000 e-books. For more information, visit the EBSCO website at: www.ebsco.com. EBSCO Information Services is a division of EBSCO Industries Inc., a family owned company since 1944.