- Random House Children's Books Releases Robert Cormier Ebooks
- Maggot Moon E-book Contains Features for Dyslexic Readers
- Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Introduces 'Curious George® Multi-Touch Digital Storybook & Activities Series' for the iPad
- Disney Publishing Launches Two Wreck-it Ralph Apps
- Ann M. Martin's The Baby-sitters Club® Series to be Released as eBooks in December
Maggot Moon E-book Contains Features for Dyslexic Readers
February 21, 2013
The newest novel by author Sally Gardner stars a young dyslexic boy named Standish. Candlewick Press released the book in both hardcover and e-book formats on February 12, 2013. The designers behind the Maggot Moon e-book implemented features especially for dyslexic readers. For instance, some of the pages includes text that moves around.
The writing itself will be showcased in a "dyslexic-friendly font." In an interview, Gardner gave an explanation on what readers can expect when reading the digital book: "Take the letter 'b.' A 'b' flips to 'd' in my head all the time. So a dyslexic-friendly font puts the weight of b where it should sit on the page. It’s thicker in the round of the ‘b,’ so visually, it helps prevent me from twisting the b to the d. It looks a bit like comic sans but it’s fairly subtle. I work with it all the time because it stops the letters from bouncing."