- Jeff Pinsker Named President of Klutz® and VP, Scholastic Inc.
- Storia, the eReading App for Kids Created by Scholastic, to Offer Titles from Albert Whitman & Company
- Olympic Gold Medalist and American Soccer Star Alex Morgan to Publish Debut Middle-Grade Series With Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
- Macmillan and 21st Century Launch Joint Children's Publishing Venture in China, Macmillan Century Consulting & Service Company Ltd
- Scholastic Launches Harry Potter Reading Club, an Online Resource for Teachers, Librarians, and Parents
Illustrator Art Sale at Sotheby's to Benefit The Eric Carle Museum
March 29, 2011
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Illustrator Art Sale at Sotheby’s To Benefit The Carle
On April 11 at 2:00 pm, Sotheby’s New York will hold a single owner sale of Original Illustration Art from the Collections of Kendra and Allan Daniel. A portion of the proceeds will benefit The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art and the Animal Legal Defense Fund. The auction, the first of this type for Sotheby’s New York, will present children’s illustrations and other original art from this renowned collection, some of which was exhibited at The Carle in 2008.
The Daniels, as both collectors and dealers, stand in the forefront of the recognition of children’s illustration as fine art. The auction will include characters such as Babar, Madeline, Christopher Robin and Raggedy Ann, and artists such as Arthur Rackham, Dr. Seuss, and Beatrix Potter.
According to Sotheby’s, The Daniels approach the selection of children's illustration with the same connoisseurship as they have with their superb private collection of American folk art. “We did not put together a historical survey,” Allan insists. “We bought what we loved.”
Over the years, the Daniels have given The Carle some very important work for its permanent collection. “They have gifted the museum with wonderful illustrators that we are fortunate to share with visitors from all over the world,” says Alexandra Kennedy, the museum’s executive director. “Now, through this important auction, we will benefit once again from their remarkable generosity and ongoing dedication to children’s illustrated book art.”
The pre-sale exhibition opens on April 5th. To preview the auction items, please click here: http://www.sothebys.com/app/paddleReg/paddlereg.do?dispatch=eventDetails&event_id=30664To purchase a catalog visit: http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/pub/PubCatDetail.jsp?event_id=30664