CBC Annual Meeting
Open to employees of member publishers, the CBC’s Annual Meeting reviews the business of the only national trade association for children’s book publishers. A guest speaker is invited each year to address a topic of interest to the industry at large.
Previous speakers at the Annual Meeting include:
- Dr. Michael Yogman: Assistant Clinical Professor of Pediatrics at Harvard Medical School. His talk illuminated new findings in brain science that support play as a cornerstone of development and an integral part of pre-K preparedness.
- Alan Sitomer: a nationally-renowned speaker and educator who is currently working to reshape literacy education by providing professional development — with particular emphasis on Common Core and STAAR — while engaging in policy dialogue and continuing to author new materials for classroom use. He will be presenting a practical guide to Common Core standards for publishers.
- Dr. Maryanne Wolf: a scholar and author who studies the origins of reading and language-learning. She is best known for her research on reading interventions and her book, Proust and the Squid, on the science of the reading brain. She is currently Director of the Center for Reading and Language Research at Tufts University, where she is an Associate Professor of Child Development. Dr. Wolf has published hundreds of articles on reading and learning disabilities.
- Duncan Watts, principal researcher at Microsoft Research, founding member of the MSR-NYC lab, former Professor of Sociology at Columbia University, leading researcher on social networks and collective dynamics, author of Everything is Obvious: Once You Know the Answer
- Pamela Paul, journalist, author, & children’s books editor of the New York Times Book Review
- Brooke Gladstone, co-host and managing editor of NPR’s On the Media, author of The Influencing Machine
- Nick Bilton, the Lead Technology Writer for The New York Times Bits Blog and a reporter for the paper. Author of I Live in the Future & Here’s How It Works.